Former Teacher Accused of Assaulting Student Waives Hearing
Posted: 12:01 PM EDT August 17, 2011 on WMUR.com

HOOKSETT, N.H. — A former Hooksett music teacher and band director charged with sexually assaulting one of his students waived a probable cause hearing Wednesday.

Police said that from September to December 2005, Andrew Lalos had a three-month relationship with the girl, who was between the ages of 13 and 17.

Defense attorneys asked that they be allowed to see files that had been sealed in the case. When that request was granted, the probable cause hearing was waived.

Prosecutors said that the student performed sex acts on Lalos at both the Cawley Middle School and the elementary school, and the two later had intercourse at Lalos’ home.

Police said the relationship began through email and Facebook, and investigators said the case serves as reminder to parents to monitor their children’s activities on the computer.

“I think often times, parents are intimidated because their kids may seem to know more about these online forums than they do,” said Capt. Corey MacDonald of the state Internet Crimes Against Children task force. “They just have to take the time to sit down with them ask the child to walk them through their Facebook and other things and see who it is they’re talking to.”

Defense attorney Adam Bernstein said he couldn’t comment on the case because the files were sealed. He said Lalos intends to plead not guilty when he is arraigned in Merrimack Superior Court.